Sunday, October 7, 2012

Currently, New ABC Writing Unit and a FREEBIE!

It's time for another Currently!  I love Farley's Currently!  I wish I could be a fly on the wall in so many people's classroom.
Farley recently created a "Currently" for every month that the students could use too.   
It's so nice to have a long weekend.  The little bugs are growing and learning so much every day.  They have been so much fun to get to know.  I just finished working on a new writing mini-unit on ABC mentor texts.  It's a great launch for a theme study and is really fun to see what patterns and "noticings" that students have about them.  My 2nd graders start to notice the layers of interesting illustrations and styles that lots of authors have when they write them.  I've included a list of ABC books that you can use in the unit.  We used the book L, M, N, O, Peas by Keith Baker as our main mentor text this year.  It's super cute!  We've used it now for a couple of years and it continues to be such a fun project for our 2nd graders.   Click here to check it out!
 I also threw up a FREEBIE (click here) that was fun to use with my students this year.  It's a reflection sheet to help see how students visualize and verbalize their understanding of "just right" books, easy books, and challenging books.  This is always an ongoing activity for our students.  It's so fun to see how 2nd graders are able to grow in their ability to understand what a "just right" book really means.  
Enjoy!    

12 comments:

erika.haehl said...

I love your freebie! and I am feeling the need to work out too! ;)

Kate said...

Just found your blog through Farley - and I'm your newest follower! Yay for the iPod!! Thanks for the great freebie!!

Kate
Second Grade Sparkle

Ms. Pretzel said...

Thanks Erica and Kate! Headed over to your blogs now. :)

Chrissy said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog....now I've found you! I will hop over to TpT and follow you there, too.

I'm gearing up to talk to my kindergartners about choosing good-fit books for themselves. I've been guiding most of the choices for their book bags. I love, love, love books and feel blessed to teach a grade level where books are abundant!

I look forward following your adventures!

Kate said...

Laura, that comment was HILARIOUS!! I laughed so loud when I read the part about being a great teacher... So funny! Although, if you WERE to have meant that we are both great teachers, I wouldn't have argued! ;)


Kate
Second Grade Sparkle

twilliams said...

You've been BOO'd!!! As a result you get to choose an item out of my TPT store to enjoy. Just send me an e-mail letting me know what you would like. My e-mail is twilliams@gilmerschools.com. Check out my blog to go to the original Boo'er(2ndgradepad) and check out others that have been Boo'd.

Teresa

2nd Grade Pig Pen

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

Hooray for me...I'm your newest follower! Stop by anytime!

Tamara said...

I just booed you too, Laura! ;) LOL! :) That's okay! :) You don't have to do anything twice...but that just means you're doubly appreciated! ;) Hee hee hee! :)

Stop by my page...I'm offering some really neat freebies and I'm having a my first contest! So excited! :)

Tamara

Kayla Parker said...

I love your blog! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out my blog to see the rules of the award! :-)

Ms. Pretzel said...

Thank you!!

Second Grade, but First Class said...

I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. Go to my blog to find out what it is.
http://secondgradebutfirstclass.blogspot.com/

phlebotomist said...

I am so excited for Summertime Freebie Friday over at Teaching Blog Addict! Each Friday, you can link up and post a freebie to share with everyone. I want to become better at having freebies on my blog, and summer is the perfect chance for me to get working on some of those! :)
phlebotomy schools mississippi