Sunday, August 2, 2015

#2getherwearebetter--My Top 10 Bulletin Board Tips &Tricks

I'm so excited to join Ashley from Schroeder Shenanigans and Angie from Lucky Little Learners for a Bulletin Board linky!  
School does not start until September for me, so in terms of putting up bulletin boards it is a bit early for me.  I thought that instead I would talk about some tips and tricks I've picked up along the way.  I'm always learning and trying new things, but there's a lot of great ideas out there already.  All photos are either my own or photo credit with links are indicated.  

Tip #1:  
Make it a priority to build CLASSROOM COMMUNITY with your bulletin boards.  This means the kiddos should see pictures of themselves around the room.  Hope King from Elementary Shenanigans hosted a great Periscope about her top 10 Set Up suggestions here.  

My favorite board to make is our hallway bulletin board.  *I can't show the fullness of these ideas, because it shows student's faces, but you can see a few samples below featuring some of my FAVORITE teacher pals!  :)  
We start the year with a question that we want the students to answer and that hopefully builds community.  
Questions we've used in the past:  Why do you love our school?  (one of core values is love)  What makes you smile?  What is your favorite thing to do at school?  

I use Krista Walden's speech bubbles to attach above their picture to display each student's answer on the Bulletin Board.  

Tip #2:  
Don't be afraid to change the shape of your boards by redefining the space with borders.  Split one board into two using borders or create sections using pocket charts.  You can also use clips so you can attach any anchor charts to your boards.   

Tip #3:  
Use spaces that some would consider UNCONVENTIONAL.  
Photo Credit:  Tales of a Teacherista & Boulder Journey School (Fairy Dust Teaching)
Your filing cabinet

The heater

The side of your student's lockers or cubbies

The closet doors

Cabinet Doors

Above the door

The ceiling

SKY'S the LIMIT!  

Tip #4:  

Staples, Stapler Removers, and Exacto Knives....OH my!  
Make friends with your exacto knife and get a decent staple remover.  

Tip #5

Glue guns are your friend!  (If you are allowed to use them at your school).  The glue peels off pretty easily.  
And if you truly need a break, you could do this!  :)  Just kidding!  Always room for an Office joke!
Tip #6:  
Use colors that are calming and consistent and most importantly is a space you and your students enjoy!  :)  

Tip #7:  
Don't be afraid to branch out and use materials that are also not your typical bulletin board materials. Shall we highlight the tissue paper, double border, burlap, fabric materials that are sweeping the BBoard nation?  #creativeteachers 

Tip #8:  
Don't worry about the boards looking perfect!  :)  Who cares if that piece is hanging out or it got a little ripped in the corner.  Time with family and friends is way more important than another hour with the stapler.  :) 

Tip #9:  
Student Participation!  

If students can add to your charts and bulletin boards then they will have ownership.  Don't be afraid to let them write strategies you are working on and definitely show their work as much as you can. 
Tip #10:
Ask colleagues for feedback when designing your boards.  It's always fun to see what others can add to your idea.  Don't "go it alone"!   

I'm sure there are a million more tips, but those are some I have learned along the way.  Love to hear more in the comments!  

I'll come back and update you on my bulletin boards for this coming year.  I'm excited to do something with this idea I saw on Pinterest for our 2nd grade collaborative community board this year.  Stay tuned!  
Photo Credit:  Jendrawthelineat & Marci Coombs

9 comments:

Brain Ninjas said...

Hi Laura,
You have so many great ideas here. I love that you want students to be involved in the creation of the boards. My students love it.

I think I might have to create an Instagram or Facebook-like board to start of the year. I've been inspired. Thanks!
~A from Brain Ninjas
Brain Ninja Notes

Ms. Pretzel said...

Thanks for the comment Brain Ninjas! (cute blog name, btw)

Can't wait to see it!

Stephanie Bradshaw said...

Great ideas! I so agree that students should see themselves all over the room-whether in pictures or with their own input/creations!
Stephanie
Applelight Moments By Stephanie

Ms. Pretzel said...

Thanks for visiting Stephanie! :)

Tina Peyerk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina Peyerk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina Peyerk said...

Wow! This is a great list of ideas and tips! Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Mrs. Peyerk's Porcupine Pals

Ms. Pretzel said...

Thanks Tina!! :)

BuggyForFirst said...

I love that you showed so many different classrooms for visuals :)
I also like using unconventional spaces. When you have small spaces, it's so important to utilize everything. Love it all.

-Kendwy
BuggyForFirst